Herbal Remedies for Anorexia
Anorexia can lead to weakness and loss of weight, making the body susceptible to diseases. Herbal remedies are found effective in curing this ailment.
Anorexia (derived from the Greek, “a(n)” absence + “orexe”=appetite) is a condition which causes loss of interest in food. It may be a result of chaotic lifestyle, gastro-intestinal disorders, illness, sores in mouth, excessive consumption of alcohol, smoking or emotional disturbances such as depression, anxiety, fear, etc. Loss of appetite can lead to weakness and loss of weight, making the body susceptible to diseases.
Herbal Remedies for Anorexia
Herbal remedies prove to be safe and effective in treating anorexia. Let’s Learn more about such time-tested natural remedies having no side effects on the body system.
- Take coriander (Coriandrum sativum) seeds, cinnamon (Cinnamomun zeylanicum) bark, cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum), fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) seeds in equal proportion. Soak them in water and keep overnight. Now, blend the mixture and strain it. Taking this remedial preparation on an empty stomach in the morning is useful in anorexia .
- It is said that chewing sesame (Sesamum indicum) seeds before meals improves appetite.
- Drink pomegranate (Punica granatum) juice with a pinch of black salt twice daily.
- Take equal quantities of mustard (Myristica fragrans) seeds, ginger (Zingiber officinale), cumin (Cuminum cyminum) seeds, black salt and a pinch of asafetida (Ferula asafoetida). Grind and mix this powder in a glass of butter milk. Have it 1 hour before lunch and dinner.
- Boil basil (Ocimum sanctum) leaves, mint (Mentha Arvensis) leaves, fresh ginger, a cardamom, 3-4 black pepper (Piper nigrum) along with a pinch of asafetida to make it into a decoction. Take 20ml of it with honey twice daily.
- Roast a raw mango (Mangifera indica) and squeeze out its juice. Mix the same in water and add powdered cumin seeds, mint leaves and salt. Having this formulation is an effective remedy for anorexia.
- Mixing together gooseberry (Emblica officinalis) and honey with some butter. Lick this paste before meals for improving the appetite.
- Having a glass of buttermilk with added black pepper powder is an effective remedy for increasing appetite.
- Mix powdered fennel seeds, carom (Trachyspermum copticum) seeds, black cumin (Nigella sativa) seeds, dry ginger rhizome in equal proportions with some salt. Take half tsp of the same before having the meals.
- Cut ginger rhizome into small pieces and soak them in lemon (Citrus limon) juice. Having a piece of it before meals is effective for those suffering from anorexia.
Diet and Exercise are Equally Important
Consumption of certain kitchen spices and herbs, such as garlic, mint, ginger, black pepper, etc., in meals is a good way to stimulate the secretion of digestive juices and further, improve metabolic rate of the body. Drinking a cup of green tea thirty minutes before meals also improves appetite. Orange and lemon juice are equally good in treating anorexia. Consuming fibrous food improve digestion and prevents constipation. Sometimes lack of vital nutrients in the body may be the reason behind loss of appetite. Increasing the intake of fruits and green leafy vegetables to get more of vitamins may be helpful in such a condition. Also, taking supplements such as folic acid, zinc and minerals would help stimulate taste and smell of food. Having more smaller meals rather than fewer heavy meals in a day prove to be beneficial in anorexia. Including any moderate exercise in your daily regime can be helpful in combating this ailment. Try to spare some time for brisk walk, cycling, jogging or swimming.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for educational purposes only and should not be used for diagnosis or to guide treatment without the opinion of a professional. These herbal remedies cannot be a replacement for medical attention; it is important to see a doctor when necessary.